Come mid-July, Mike Emers at Rosie Creek Farm is growing deep green zucchini and bright yellow squash. Quinoa is a versatile (and healthy!) grain and this dish is a great way to highlight these two Alaska vegetables.
Fresh herbs are always a good addition in any quinoa dish. As the flavors in this dish are so mellow, using milder herbs (thyme and parsley, for example) keeps from overpowering the dish.
Quinoa with Vegetables
1) Rinse the quinoa in a fine mesh strainer.
2) Place the quinoa and vegetable stock in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3) After 15 minutes, check to see how much stock the quinoa has absorbed. If the quinoa grain has sprung out, and there is a little white tail, remove from heat and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes. If not, let cook until 3-4 minutes, then remove from heat.
4) While quinoa is cooking, sauté the garlic in a little olive oil for 30 seconds. Add the onion, and cook until it becomes translucent.
5) Add the red pepper, zucchini, and yellow squash and cook until vegetables are soft.
6) Remove from heat. Mix sautéed vegetables in with quinoa and flavor with salt and pepper.
7) Mix in fresh herbs, a little olive oil.
Filed In: Dinner