If you have ever cranked your own ice cream, you know what a fun activity it is. Hand cranking also produces the creamiest ice cream. It is a tradition at Camp Denali and North Face Lodge, and it’s only fair that the crankers get the first taste. The following recipe is for a 4-quart hand-crank freezer. For smaller home freezers, just cut the recipe to suit.
Homemade Ice Cream
1) Scald the milk in a heavy-bottomed stockpot over low heat, taking care not to let it boil.
2) Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar and salt until all the grains have dissolved.
3) In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until frothy. Slowly whisk in half of the scalded milk mixture.
4) Return the mixture to stockpot and simmer over low heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens.
5) Remove from heat and stir in the cream and vanilla.
6) Pour the mixture into a 4-quart ice cream container. Cool to lukewarm. Churn in an ice cream freezer according to the freezer instructions.
Filed In: Dessert