This pate mimics its namesake with a smooth, creamy texture but leaves out the liver, resulting in a vegetarian spread that pairs well with fresh vegetables on a sandwich or as a dip for crudite.
1) Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
2) Add the shallots; cook, stirring, until softened, about 1 minute.
3) Add the mushrooms; cook, stirring until softened, about 5 minutes. Continue cooking until any mushroom liquid has evaporated.
4) Remove the pan from heat. Stir in the cream cheese, one cube at a time, until the cream cheese is incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Add the heavy cream, if using.
5) Remove from heat and stir in the parsley and thyme; cook, stirring, 30 seconds.
6) Mix in the parsley and thyme. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Filed In: Lunch