We serve these with our own Alaskan Blueberry Syrup and maple syrup from the Cole family farm in Maine.
Yield: 8 servings, 16 4-inch pancakes
1) In a large bowl, mix together the water and sourdough starter. Mix in the buttermilk and flour.
2) Transfer to a large stainless steel container. Cover loosely and keep in a warm place overnight.
3) In the morning, whisk the egg whites until they hold stiff peaks. In a separate bowl, combine the egg yolks, oil, honey, and salt. Fold into the sourdough mixture. Gently fold in the egg whites, and then fold in the baking soda.
4) Preheat a frying pan over medium-high heat. Lightly butter the pan. Using a 1/4-cup measure, pour dollops of batter into the pan. Adjust the heat and cook until tiny air bubbles appear on the surface, then gently flip the pancake. Continue cooking until evenly colored on both sides.
5) Stack the pancakes loosely, covered with foil, while you cook the remaining batter. Serve immediately with your favorite toppings.
Filed In: Breakfast