October 19, 2016
Throughout the years of operating Camp Denali and North Face Lodge, we’ve spent many a phone call talking to people about our lodges. Camp Denali, specifically, is regarded as a must-do, truly authentic, Alaskan experience. We are the first to admit it is not for everyone, but it can be a perfect fit for many travelers, even if it doesn’t seem so at first glance. What is one of the most common hesitations people have about Camp Denali? Outhouses!
We know what you are thinking: A midnight nature call, dark, stumbling along a trail, and then, OH NO! A BEAR! Forget it, no way, I need an indoor bathroom.
The above scene is not an unfamiliar fear of guests interested in joining us in the heart of Denali, but who do not feel comfortable with an outhouse. Allow us to set the record straight with a few key points about Camp Denali’s outhouses:
Don’t believe us? Guests have the same things to say after they join us for a stay at Camp Denali. Below are guest comments taken from TripAdvisor reviews:
- Although our room had no running water or electricity and we had to use an outhouse, this was an awesome experience.
- If you can view outhouses, gas lamps and wood stoves as part of an adventure and not an inconvenience, this place is for you.
- The tiny cabins and outhouses were spotless.
- I have to admit I was a little apprehensive about the outhouse but by the time I was leaving (3 days later), it was no big deal. It wasn't just any old outhouse. It was cute with a regular toilet seat, very clean, and had a window with a view of Denali.
- “Four Seasons Experience & an Outhouse!”
- Surprising how quickly you get used to the outhouse!
- Fun factoid - even the outhouses have a great view of the mountain (yeah, I had to verify it).
- I know they also have a lodge but quite honestly, given that the price is the same, I would strongly recommend the cabins instead unless someone simply cannot stand to use an otherwise pristine outhouse with a million dollar view.
- They say that they maintain their outhouses and they do.
- Just go here. There is no place else to stay with this view. I am not a fan of the outhouse, but it came with and amazing view and a great overall experience.
- Ok, there's an outhouse. Ok, the showers are in a different building. But who cares if you have such spectacular views of Denali? Will we return? Very likely.
- Do not let the idea of outhouses scare you, this destination should not be missed.
Now that you have our detailed overview of Camp Denali’s outhouses, including visuals, we hope you will consider it an adventure worth having.
It is our pleasure to present Dispatches, a journal of the goings on at Camp Denali & North Face Lodge. Written by members of our staff, Dispatches is an opportunity to peek into the special sightings notebook, brush up on Denali National Park issues, read about our ongoing projects in sustainability, and maybe get a whiff of what’s cooking in the kitchens. Dispatches will carry on through the winter, when we hope to share stories of snowy ski adventures, deep cold, and the events of a small Alaskan community.